Most people in the USA use over 100 gallons of water per day. Most people in developing countries use 3 gallons or less per day. If Americans had to walk more then 4 miles to day to fetch water, they'd use a lot less of it. But having a tap in your house doesn't mean you can't conserve.
Here are a few ways to save water and protect the Earth's water resources:
- Take a 5 minute shower instead of a 15 minute shower. Set a timer! You'll save 15 gallons.
- Don't let the water run constantly when washing or rinsing dishes.
- Fix faucets that drip.
- Use cooking water for the garden or cleaning instead of just throwing it down the drain.
- Only turn on the clothes or dishwasher when it's full.
- Don't keep the water running when you brush your teeth.